Canon 1DX Mark II Review
Canon 1DX Mark II is another professional-level DSLR from this big brand. It is loaded with a 20.2 MP sensor and can record 4K videos at 4096×2160 resolution level.
Those who are interested to capture sports events will find this camera unit useful with its higher shooting speeds. The frame rate shooting can be adjusted to 14fps whereas Live View works with 16fps.
This camera has 61 autofocus points and it makes use of Ai Servo III to track focus. The ISO range can go as high as up to 409,600 to ensure the finest details. Also, the high tech touch screen of this camera unit makes it easy to adjust for various shooting conditions.
- Equipped with 2a 0.2MP full-frame CMOS sensor that provides dual-pixel autofocus.
- It supports 14 fps frame rate for continuous shooting and 16fps for Live View.
- 4K shooting works perfectly with a 60fps frame rate.
- Canon 1DX Mark II offers shortest blackout time for the viewfinder.
- It has virtually unlimited Raw Buffer that works perfectly with CFast Cards.
- Designed with 61 point AF system that ensures wide coverage.
- 5 AF points to the central location that ensures higher accuracy with F2.8 and other high-speed lenses.
- The AF points ensure the best performance in low light and dark as well
- Improves ISO range.
- Works perfectly with RGB+IR metering sensor that supports 360,000 pixels.
- AF points work effectively with spot metering ability.
- Focus type touch screen with configurable Q menu.
- Classic flicker detection ability.
- Designed with USB 3.0 port.
- Robust and classic design.
- Beginners may find it quite difficult to adjust AF settings.
- iTR subject tracking ability needs some improvement in performance.
- AI Servo does not support Live View mode.
- You can capture 4K videos with Motion JPEG format only.
- It does not have zebras, focus peaking ability.
- No log gamma.
- The HDMI output can handle only 1080 video.
- Needs some improvement for custom controls.
Camera User Manual Guide for Canon 1DX Mark ii
Canon 1DX Mark II: Review
This camera is designed by keeping the requirements of professional users in preference. Canon has worked efficiently on its ergonomics with easy to handle joystick based controls and a wide range of buttons; however, you may need to press harder to make adjustments through buttons.
You may also find it light in weight as compared to its predecessor with a compact size. This camera is designed to support two shooting modes as landscape and portrait so there are two shutter release buttons, and duplicate AF button, Control dial, AE-Lock button and AF-On button as well. It is rated high for build quality as well because of it’s easy to handle grip.
In order to adjust the AF points for shooting, you can make use of a joystick. It can allow users to make a selection from a wide range of AF modes such as Auto selection AF, Large Zone AF, Zone AF, Expand AF area surround, Expand AF area, One-Point AF, and Spot AF.
While working in Live View mode, you can adjust all settings by simply tapping on the touchscreen. You will be happy to know that it offers wide storage with a dual card system and also assist in fast transfers with CFast cards.
Canon 1DX Mark II offers great results for images with its wide ISO range, white balance, exposure mode, exposure compensation, metering, and drive. In order to make a fast selection between Full HD mode and 4K options, you can use Q button.
Canon 1DX Mark II is also known for its intelligent viewfinder that offers 100% frame coverage and ensures fine results for all conditions. The ISO range of camera varies between ISO 100 to 51200 but the great news is that users can also expand it to cover ISO between 50 and 409,600.
This camera is also loaded with diffraction correction, distortion correction and digital lens optimizer that ensure noise-free shooting. Users can also switch to flicker mode to get better results in flickering light conditions.
Those who love to share images on social media will find this camera unit little disappointing as it does not support Wi-Fi connectivity. However, you can share images on the computer via USB 3.0 port.
The great news for adventure lovers is that it supports a built-in GPS feature that assists in automatic Geo-tagging so that you can save your memories with perfect time code.
The battery life of Canon 1DX Mark II is also upgraded by the small extent and it supports 1210 shots with one full charge. The dust and weather-sealed body of this camera work perfectly with various shooting situations.
Summary of Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
- Full Frame Canon CMOS Sensor
- Dual DIGIC 6+
- EOS integrated cleaning system
- 20.2 megapixel (5472 x 3648px)
- Full HD 120P and 4K 60P Video
- Video 4K up to 29min. 59sec.
- 61 AF Points, 21 cross-type AF points at f/8 and f/11
- AF Modes: One-shot / AI Servo AF
- ISO Auto 100-51200
- Flicker Mode
- LCD Clear View 3.2″
- Touch focus
- Built-in GPS
- Magnesium alloy body
- Dust and weather resistant
- Flash: E-TTL II Auto Flash, Manual
- File Type: JPEG+RAW
- Dual memory card
- Super-Speed USB 3.0
- Battery life: 1210 Shots (2700 mAh)
- Dimensions 158 x 167.6 x 82.6mm
- Weight 1340g
- Read full specifications (link)
Canon 1DX Mark II: Good For
This camera unit is suitable for sports photographers and event photographers as well. Those who need to work for high-quality videos will also find Canon 1DX Mark II very useful.
Experts recommend this camera to professional photographers due to its impressive colour adjustments, wide ISO range, and fine viewfinder performance.
Canon 1DX Mark II: Bad For
Videographers that are looking for a deep feature set will not be much satisfied with this camera unit.
There is no doubt to say that Canon 1DX Mark II is a well designed professional camera unit. Manufacturers have created this camera unit with awesome features offering a wide dynamic range, huge coverage, limitless Raw buffer and easy storage ability with CFast card support.
The advanced sensors work efficiently to support classic performance for all light conditions. Also, this camera supports 4K video ability with 60fps frame rating and ensures a fine distribution of colours for all collections.